Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Our very own book stumper

The Apprentice is stumped on a book she's trying to remember, and I can't remember much about it either. So I'm throwing it out to all Treehouse visitors.

These are the details she's sure about: there's a boy, and some kind of dragon (a small one?). He takes it home and hides it under his bed, and unfortunately, because it's a fire-breathing dragon, it not only burns up his comic books but sets the house on fire as well. Unwilling to have to explain this, he sets out for (?) with the dragon. The book then involves a sea voyage and an evil older man with a "sword stick" (a cane that becomes a sword). The ship somehow gets damaged, but the dragon welds it back together with his fiery breath.

As you can imagine, doing a Google search for "boy meets dragon" or even "sword-stick" is pretty useless, and she hasn't been able to come up with anything more distinctive except that she's pretty sure the name of the book is the dragon's name.

Can you help?

5 comments:

The Apprentice said...

It is not a small dragon. He hides it in the shed, then takes it out when mum goes shopping or is at work or something. He gets the dragon to melt the front door lock and they go in. Mum comes home, boy (possibly Gregory?) hides dragon under bed. Things get set on fire. He doesn't "set out" for anywhere, he just runs away because he can't face up to his "mum". The book had a lot of very British things like that in it. He and the dragon stow away in a ship. They are discovered and kept on as deckhands. If I remember correctly everyone except the evil guy and his henchmen turn out to really like them. Evil dude wants to mine something out of icebergs, something similar to Kryptonite. Also after dragon welds ship together he turns water in ship into steam. The title is the name of the dragon, I think maybe three letters, starts with E, but I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

I read your post and did a search on www.ask.com Could the book be called "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini? Looks like a good book. Not sure if it's the one you're looking for, though. Hope it helps.

Mama Squirrel said...

Don't think so--we're not usually into real mainstream dragon books, and I definitely would have remembered Eragon. Thanks, though.

Apprentice, I figured the dragon must have been on the small side if he hid it under his bed!

I was originally guessing it might have been a Margaret Mahy book--the plotline sounds a bit Mahy-ish. But I haven't seen any books listed by her that are just the name of a dragon.

Firefly said...

Could it be one of Ruth Stiles Gannett's books like "Elmer and the Dragon"? I haven't read that particular book, but we have read "My Father's Dragon". There is one more book in this set. Just tossing this out there.

The Apprentice said...

I read some of those books when I was younger, very good, but unfortunately that's not it! I've never heard of this book anywhere...it's something I picked up at a library sale. For some reason, we don't have it anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails