Friday, March 16, 2007

Turnip Slaw

There are few vegetables that I really, really don't like the taste or smell of; cooked turnip (usually rutabaga around here) is one of them. Those holiday mashed turnip-apple things do not appear on our table (life is short, let's eat dessert).

However, we did have a small rutabaga in the fridge this week, mainly because the produce aisle on our last supermarket trip looked like somebody had hung it out to dry. Wilted everything. I settled for a small rutabaga and some frozen vegetables. Some of the rutabaga went onto a raw-veggie plate last weekend, and the rest I made into Turnip Slaw tonight. (I was thinking about Meredith and her Iron Chef Moms challenge--with coleslaw.)

It tastes just like coleslaw! Really! The recipe says "it is probably not the kind of dish most people would eat in huge amounts," but I thought it was very good. And as Meredith pointed out--using leftovers counts as "free food," doesn't it?

Turnip Slaw (or Rootie-Tootie Slaw), from American Wholefoods Cuisine by Nikki and David Goldbeck

2 medium turnips (about 3/4 pound); or a chunk of rutabaga (you need 2 cups grated vegetable)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. salt (I put in some pepper too)
1 tbsp. minced parsley (I didn't have any so I left it out)

Peel turnips and shred. Mix yogurt, vinegar, honey and salt to make the dressing and combine with turnip. Garnish with parsley. Serves 4.

2 comments:

Krakovianka said...

It sounds very Polish.

Meredith said...

I'll have to add that one to my bag of tricks--thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails