Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Used clothes are icky? YOU get a life.

As you can tell from some of today's other posts, Mama Squirrel is not in the best of humors (her own cold and Mr. Fixit's have dragged on too long already), and she is further not amused by comments from smartmouthed younger-than-us persons who've never yet had to supply food, clothes and Christmas presents for a family while on a tighter-than-this budget. You do that for awhile, THEN we'll talk about whether it's gross buying clothes that somebody else wore first.

At least the comments weren't on MY blog.

You can read 'em and laugh, or just get really irritated, here. (Found through this week's Festival of Frugality.)

(Just to highlight one I enjoyed (from the comments on the original article): "There is nothing wrong with saving after you live a decent life. What this lady is proposing will make you feel miserable, your self estime will be low, soon enough you will be on drugs.")

6 comments:

Ann V.@HolyExperience said...

I like to think of such clothes as pre-loved.

I hope your cold improves soon!

Much love...
Ann

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I hope you get to feeling better, Mama Squirrel! I am sending you some virtual chicken soup to help!

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks, both of you--and the soup was delicious. (grin)

Tim's Mom said...

I read the comments, they were interesting. I wouldn't say we're frugal, but we budget and try not to incur debt. I usually prefer used jeans to new ones because I don't have to wonder how they'll fit after they shrink - used jeans are already as shrunk as they're going to get.

I read the comment about the grandpa not "having any stories to tell" because he didn't purchase a Harley. As if a life of value with interesting things to tell about it depend on seeking out novel thrills that cost money, or something. I always thought it was fun hearing how my grandparents lived their routine lives in an era before electricity. They didn't need to run away and join a circus or anything out of the ordinary to have stories to tell.

I once heard that it's an insult to dump clothes that don't look new on those who can't afford new clothes. We tend to wear our clothes for a long, long time - they definitely don't look new by the time we're done with them! I'd love to find a place that recycles clothes that people probably wouldn't want to wear, like a paper factory. I'd feel better about that than throwing away stained T-shirts, or jeans with holes in the knees.

Willow said...

I work with a lot of very "fashionable" people who spend an enormous amount of money on clothes. Too bad they get their fashion tips from blond celebrities! I regularly see exposed underwear from people who don't understand the value of leaving a little to the imagination. There's a core group of old folks at work - people over the age of 35 - who know how to dress well and spend very little, whether it's used clothing or finding great sales. You never hear the old folks complaining about having no food in the house due to spending all their money on fashion.

Mama Squirrel said...

Willow, I've never been called "old folks" before, but thanks for commenting anyway.

Related Posts with Thumbnails