Friday, November 30, 2007

Granola bars that don't fall apart

I have tried different recipes for granola bars (some that start with granola and some that don't), but they usually fall apart on me. These are from a 1992 Rod and Staff newsletter (that I found in a pile of stuff) and they turned out pretty solid and close to what I think of as granola bars. As I noted in the recipe, I didn't make them as thin as recommended, but I like the way they turned out anyway.

Granola Bars (by Ella Mae Landis)

Combine dry ingredients:

4 cups oatmeal
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sunflower seeds or nuts
1 cup coconut

Mix and add to dry ingredients:

2/3 cup honey or brown sugar (I used honey)
2/3 cup oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well and press mixture into two well-greased 10x15" cookie sheets (I pressed it all into one 11x15" glass pan instead). Bake at 350 degrees "until nicely browned." (There is no time given in the recipe but I took my large pan out after 20 minutes, when the edges were just beginning to brown.) Cut immediately into bars (I used a pizza wheel). Remove from pan when cool.

3 comments:

marsha (hotwaterbath.blogspot.com) said...

Do these end up to be the hard or soft variety? I got a recipe for a soft kind from allrecipes.com that I like (has molasses and honey, oats, nuts, flax and a few other things). I've had less luck finding a harder kind.

Mama Squirrel said...

Not hard enough to break your teeth on, but about as solid as the older kind of commercial granola bar (think Nature Valley?) Does that make sense?

Mama Squirrel said...

Another opinion: Ponytails says they're softer than that. OK, how about we go with medium-firm?

Related Posts with Thumbnails