Friday, November 16, 2007

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown

From our local paper: the front page of today's Lifestyles section is a feature about how not to let your Christmas tree look like it was decorated by your kids.

(For the record, my kids weren't amused.)

And if that isn't depressing enough...Mr. Fixit drove Grandpa Squirrel to the mall today for something. Middle of the day on a Friday (and the Santa Claus parade isn't even until tomorrow). They could hardly get parked, the food court was jammed, and everything was lineups.

Note to self: don't go to the mall even for socks or hamster shavings until after Epiphany.

Further note to self: let's spend an extra amount of time this year making Advent special...and then not thinking of Christmas as just one day either. (Quick--open the presents, eat too much and then we're done. Yuck.) We find a certain enjoyment in just getting started with Christmas when the rest of the world seems to be almost glad to have it all over with and be getting back to "normal" (or should that be "getting ready for Valentine's Day?"). I think we'd actually enjoy being Ukrainian; but, lacking that, we try to "save a little Christmas for Christmas." (Remember that song? You can see it in this You-Tube clip from The Story of the First Christmas Snow; the clip is nine minutes long and the song isn't until about seven minutes into it--but you can scoot the little fast-forward thingy along the bottom of the screen if you don't want to watch the rest.)

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for pointing me to the song. I'd never heard it before. Love your musings. My tree always looks like the kids decorated it, and that's how I like it. :)

AnnMarie said...

Growing up, my family always celebrated Advent during Advent and Christmas during Christmas. I don't recall ever putting up the tree before Dec 22, and usually on the 23rd or 24th, after we got out of school. Then the tree stayed up hthrough January and sometime sbeyond. One year (after I left home), my parents finally took it down because Lent was beginning that week!

It kills me to see trees out in the trash on the 26th Or even the 1st. Why not take the time to celebrate the season when nothings all rushed anymore?

So it's nice to hear of other families like mine was!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Hmmm. I went to the bookstore today--which is not even at the mall--and it was really difficult to find a parking place. I thought I could enjoy a latte with a book until next Friday! Apparently not.

I not only avoid going to the mall at this time of the year, but I also avoid driving anywhere near a mall. The Christmas spirit does not seem to affect shoppers despite the loud, tinny playing of carols everywhere.

I am really glad that Channukah is not a major holiday--although Madison Avenue certainly wants to make it so!

Related Posts with Thumbnails