Monday, January 07, 2008

My Heart's in the Highlands

One of our Squirrelings requested that we learn some Scottish folksongs this term, "like Martha would have sung." It's not inappropriate, as probably the biggest part of our combined family genealogical pie is Scottish.

So here are a few that I picked out--we're going to start with Wild Mountain Thyme and Loch Lomond and throw in Donald, Where's Your Trousers? (Donald wears a kilt.)

Any other suggestions for tunes that younger girls could handle?

4 comments:

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

In addition to the first two you listed, we love "Skye Boat Song," "Flower of Scotland," "Nut Brown Maiden," "Scotland the Brave," "Auld Lang Syne," and "Comin' Thro' the Rye".

Melissa Wiley said...

Ooh ooh ooh! "Ho Ro My Nut Brown Maiden" was going to be my suggestion too, and "Loch Tay Boat Song" (I am tearing up just thinking about it), and "Rigs o' Rye" (which I think of as Martha & Lew's song--"this lad he was of courage bold, a gallus chiel nineteen years old; he's made the hills and valleys roar, and the bonny lassie, she's gone with him..." If I'd gotten to write the last book you'd have seen how their romance fit the song, or vice versa).

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks to both of you! Those could keep us busy for quite awhile.

Anonymous said...

How about 'Katie Bairdie' ('Katie Bairdie had a coo [cow], black and white aboot the moo [mouth]'); Ally Bally (see http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_coulter.htm), Wee Willie Winkie.
These are songs that Scottish children learn before going onto the Burns ballads and songs of love and longing. My 13 year old DD plays and sings the first 2 to her accompaniment on the celtic harp (clarsach). They're really fun songs, with bouncy rhymes. I didn't find an mp3 version on a quick search, but if you're interested I can have another look.

Linda (in Edinburgh, Scotland)

Related Posts with Thumbnails