Wednesday, February 27, 2008

20 Years Ago Today: Elizabeth Manley's Cowgirl Skate

"This is the big night. She could win a bronze medal."

In spite of that half-hearted introduction, Elizabeth Manley skated her way to Olympic silver, beating out other skaters who had gotten more media attention. I remember that night so well: I probably should have been writing a term paper or something, but I wandered out to the living room to watch the skating instead. It was one of the two most unexpected, electric, unforgettable few minutes of television I've ever watched (the other one was the Challenger explosion, but this one was much happier).

Watch the whole video if you want to relive February 27, 1988.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

That was 20 years ago! Man I feel old now. :)

Tim's Mom said...

This was one of the Olympics I missed - I was busy getting married, having a baby, that kind of stuff. So I'm glad you posted this.

Birdie said...

I have extremely fond memories of sitting on the sofa with my step-mother and cheering Miss Manley on! Thanks for the happy reminder and link.

Related Posts with Thumbnails