Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pumpkin Cake I Couldn't Duplicake

Well, it isn't our favourite Pumpkin Loaf. That one's without equal.

Unfortunately, Pumpkin Loaf also has a cup and a half of white sugar in it, and I have been trying very hard not to make anything like that lately. Coffeemamma has a slightly healthier version on her food blog.

Today's Pumpkin Cake experiment was at least edible, partially thanks to a few chocolate chips I threw in. I don't think it would be easy for anyone else to exactly duplicate this one, but at least it should encourage you if you're trying to make up your own low-sugar or no-sugar baking recipes: because it's no worse (and somewhat better) than stuff I've made from other people's recipes.

Unduplicakable Pumpkin Cake

Let's see if I can remember everything that went into this:

1 250-g (cup-sized) container of homemade pumpkin butter (I had frozen this; it's canned pumpkin cooked slowly with honey and spices)
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
about a cup of milk
1/2 cup leftover cooked oat groats (hulled oats) (same as cooked oatmeal)

Blend those together with a blender (I used a stick blender). If you're using cooked grains, you need some kind of power tool to blend them in.

Add in:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
(I didn't add spices because there were already some in the pumpkin butter)
About half a cup chocolate chips

Blend gently with a rubber spatula, adjusting liquid as necessary.

Pour into greased 8-inch square pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for...I checked it after 30 minutes and it was still pretty pale, so gave it ten more. Check it with a toothpick if you're not sure.

Notes: well, it would definitely have been zippier with some sugar and probably some extra cinnamon. I think I prefer the texture of raw oatmeal in baking rather than the slightly porridgy effect of cooked grains (even though Meredith's Kitchen Scrap Cookies are quite good).

But overall it wasn't bad. Creativity wins.

3 comments:

AnnMarie said...

Your favorite one (on the other post) sounds a lot like the pumpkin bread recipe I use. I use only about 3/4c of sugar in my recipe. It does come out flatter (I bake it in a loaf pan, or actually, in my bread machine), plus I use at least half whole wheat flour. But it still tastes good with half the sugar of your recipe. (The eggs are the same amounts, I don't use any buttermilk, use only 1.5c flour.)

You pumpkin butter has honey in it--how much? Doesn't that negate the health savings of not using sugar?

Mama Squirrel said...

The honey--depends on how much I put in in the first place, and yes, I know that doesn't really make it sugar-free (although I could tell by the taste of the cake that there wasn't much sweetener overall). I just wanted to use up the pumpkin butter.

Baby steps, right?

Birdie said...

Sounds REALLY yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails