Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It did work! (Rice cake snack)

In my list of things to use up, I mentioned that we have some mostly-ignored rice cakes and that I thought they might work in Leslie Hammond's puffed-rice snack recipes. I tried it today, and it worked! Not as economical as using plain puffed rice, but it was a case of "what's in your hand."

The basic recipe for honey-mustard snack mix is equal parts oil, Dijon mustard, and honey, mixed together; 2 tsp. of each will coat about 4 cups of puffed rice or broken-up rice cakes, plus anything else you want to add (I put in some cashews as well). Spread on a cookie sheet or in a baking pan, bake 15 minutes at 250 degrees (that's 250, not 350 in case you wondered). Stir when it comes out and let it cool a few minutes more on the pan.

The girls prefer a combination of oil, cinnamon and sugar, but I like the savoury version better.

1 comment:

Birdie said...

I eat a LOT of rice cakes. I tend to eat them with veggie spread.

Related Posts with Thumbnails