Monday, May 26, 2008

They don't make them like they used to...

Clothespins!

We bought some tough plastic ones about ten years ago, and inherited a bunch of old (wooden) ones (spring-type) with our house, along with an old clothesline that we removed after a couple of years. Since then we've used a combination of the electric dryer and indoor lines in the basement (about half and half). Once in awhile a pin would snap, and we've lost a few here and there to craft projects.

This year Mr. Fixit put up a wonderful energy-saving pulley-style line outdoors; you can stand on the back porch and haul everything in if it rains. So I thought we needed a few extra clothespins. The new (wooden) ones are cheap enough--but they break! The springs on them barely hold a pair of socks, much less take on a pair of jeans.

I have to go down after each load and check the grass for broken clothespins. And/or pick up the things that have fallen off the line.

And that's how I know this world is going downhill in a laundry basket.

2 comments:

Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings said...

You said it! The newer clothespin won't hold hardly anything and are constantly popping apart. It's annoying!

If you run across some good ones, be sure and share where you found them. I'll do the same.

Sarah said...

No kidding.

We just spent the weekend with my father-in-law. While there I took my turn hanging wash out on the line and marveled at the clothespins he owns. They were sturdy. They were strong. They even appeared to have some kind of varnish on them! I've never seen anything like them.

I'm going to spend some time later this week making a clothespin bag like the one my fil keeps those wonderful clothespins in. I won't ever own clothespins like his but the bag I can make.

Related Posts with Thumbnails