Sunday, October 26, 2008

Simple Folk Songs

We found the music to this nursery rhyme in The Faber Book of Nursery Songs. I thought it was a good choice for this week since we're also reading the Knights and Chivalry chapter in A Child's History of the World. It can be sung as a round if you're ambitious.

The hart he loves the high wood,
The Hare she loves the hill;
The knight he loves his bright sword,
The lady loves her will.

How can I get the tune across? It's written in the key of F and I'll write in the notes above the words:

C C C C C F(do) F
The hart he loves the high wood,
F G A B flat G A
The Hare she loves the hill;
HiC HiF HiF HiF HiF HiF HiC
The knight he loves his bright sword,
B flat A A G G F
The lady loves her will.

(Okay-I tried to put the letters above the right words, but I'm stymied by the lack of control over spacing here. Can you figure it out anyway?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little song!

I actually found some music here:
http://folksongcollector.com/hartloves.html

HTH,
Jean

Related Posts with Thumbnails