Thursday, November 13, 2008

Favourite rooms in children's literature

Melissa pointed me to this discussion of favourite rooms in children's literature at Jen Robinson's Book Page.

OK, Maria's tower room (The Little White Horse) and Anne's bedroom (Anne of Green Gables) have been covered, as has the cupola in The Four Story Mistake.

But if we're thinking about the Melendys anyway, how about their first upstairs "Office" back in New York, with the trapeze and all that? Or Clarinda's secret room?

I've always liked The Grape Room in The Moffats. And the kitchen/sitting room in Understood Betsy.

I'd like to be in the Stanton's living room on Christmas Eve, eating mince pies in front of the fire. (The Dark is Rising) Or in Mole's house, ditto, eating whatever they ate (fresh, no canned mind you) with the mice. (The Wind in the Willows)

Someone already mentioned the original Boxcar in The Boxcar Children. I'd like to hang out in the restored train car in Margot Benary-Isbert's The Ark. Or in the converted trolley car in The Trolley Car Family.

I'm not so sure about staying in Aunt Sarah's house in Magic Elizabeth, at least not at the beginning of the book. Maybe after it stopped raining. But Sal did have a nice bedroom.

And once in awhile I'd like to live underground with the Wombles.

P.S. Oh yes--I've always thought I'd like to have tea in Alfie's kitchen.

5 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Great stuff, Mama Squirrel. Thanks for participating. I forgot about the Office in the Saturdays. That was a great room. And the Trolley Car Family! I loved that book, but haven't re-read it in years. There are so, so many great places to visit in children's literature, aren't there?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love the description of Mole's house and the little Christmas party that was held there. It is one of my favorite scenes in all of children's literature.

Another favorite is the picture of the mother in the A Wrinkle In Time Trilogy (now five of them!) where she is making stew in her lab.

Katie said...

I am partial to badger's kitchen, with all the plates winking and the bricks beaming with warmth. I loved thinking of Ratty and Mole escaping from the uncertainty of that scary forest into the hospitality of Badger's kitchen.

I have also always wanted to see Mr. and Mrs. Bhaer's schoolroom (or the barn) in Little Men, as well as to look in through the window of the Marches' sitting room as Laurie did in Little Women.

Or to see Sara's beautiful feast in the attic in A Little Princess.

Jeanne said...

I love Milly-Molly-Mandy's new little attic bedroom under the thatched roof, which is her Very Own!!

Jeanne

http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/

Charlotte said...

I always read the Dark is Rising and that bit of Wind in the Willows at Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails