Thursday, December 04, 2008

Around the Treehouse

Temperature: -2.6 degrees Celsius. Just below freezing.

Christmasy reading: "Schnitzle, Schnotzle, and Schnootzle", by Ruth Sawyer. Really. The version we have is slightly different from the one linked, but it's close.

In the oven today: Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread.

In the breadmaker: Whole wheat bread, not low-sodium. I tried my favourite whole-wheat recipe last week with a lot less salt, and the whole thing caved in. From now on I'll stick to the cookbook recipes when I'm baking no-salt bread. (Which is not a favourite thing to eat around here, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...)

Have to make more: hot chocolate mix--Crayons just finished off the last of it.

What I'm procrastinating on: writing Christmas cards.

What I learned this week: Yes, you can put mini marshmallows in muffins. If you're careful.

What else I learned: You can't make fudge in the crockpot--Steph says so, and she should know--but you can make soap.

What I'm not trying to think about: Canadian politicians. Send them all some melty crockpot fudge. [UPDATE: well, maybe except for the premier of Newfoundland. Thanks, Linda! You can send him some of your nice chocolate instead.]

2 comments:

Beck's Bounty said...

Care to share your Hot Chocolate Mix recipe ? That is a big favorite here, and buying by the "can" or "box of packets" gets pricey, and Mom does not always have time for the milk / cocoa powder kind.

Thanks.
MomToCherubs
email momtocherubs@becksbounty.com
blog http://www.becksbounty.blogspot.com

Mama Squirrel said...

We use the Hillbilly Housewife's recipe--I'll post a link to it separately. Warning to natural-food fans: it uses non-dairy creamer!

But I've also found a couple of commercial mixes that go on sale quite often, and we fill in with those when I haven't gotten around to making more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails