Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I really, really, really wanted one (Bad Toy Nostalgia)

The 1970's were prime years here for the Christmas Wish Book--especially because a lot of people where I lived shopped through The Catalogue. Those were the days when we wrote out Family-Circus-inspired two-page (or ten-page) Christmas wish lists--with pages and prices included. Of course we were told to circle one or two things that we really really really wanted--the other stuff (like a rock tumbler) went on the list every year just out of habit.

So this is my question: what's the dumbest childhood toy that you ever asked for (and got) for Christmas or another holiday, preferably inspired by TV advertising or a page in the catalogue? Did you ever ask for (and get) a gumball machine? A Shoppin' Sheryl doll? (Okay, she was pretty cute.) A Give-a-Show Projector? A magic set that never really worked?

(If you need some inspiration or want to jog your memories, check out the TimeWarp Vintage Toys website.)

I'll start: Shaker Maker, approximately 1972, a kit that made little moulded plaster monsters. Hoo boy, what was I thinking? You could have about as much fun shaking up instant pudding, and it would have tasted better too.

Your turn!

P.S. TimeWarp Toys is a fun website to browse through--did anybody else ever make DaisySnaps jewelry? Or are you old enough to remember Rat Fink Rings?

3 comments:

Katie said...

Baby Alive. Her mouth really moved and ate baby food, and then you got to really change her diaper.

Donna-Jean said...

I desperately wanted "Little Miss No-Name." Talk about maudlin. This poor doll had a permanent bluish plastic tear stuck to her cheek. I think she came in a kind of burlap-like garment, too. I used to believe all dolls had feelings, so I felt sort of obliged to give this one a home.

I just found a link for it:
[url]http://www.whitless.com/littlemissnoname2.htm[/url]

I do seem to recall that I did think that doll was special, though :-)

(Merry Christmas to everyone in the treehouse!)

Adventures On Beck's Bounty said...

Shrinky Dinks -- those plastic pieces in various shapes and characters that you painted, and then heated in the oven to "shrink". And I got them --- nothing says Merry Christmas like a home filled with the smell of burning plastic. HA !!

Speaking of bad toys, did you see commericals for the Talking Potty Training doll this year ? Ewwwwwwwwwww. even my girls, who love dolls, thought that was one fo the most disgusting toys they had ever seen. HA ! And my nearly-13yo said "don't other children have imaginations ?" Hummmmmmmmm.

Merry CHRISTmas,
MomToCherubs
http://www.becksbounty.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails