Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Ways you know the world is getting a little crazier

It gets harder and harder to be self-sufficient in this world--or anything approaching it. And it seems for any freedom that's lost, there's somebody waving a Green banner in your face. You're supposed to just shut up about it, because it's wrong not to care about the environment.

But more and more, our hands are tied, and it seems like there's always another piece of pending legislation promising to pull those ropes even tighter.

The city of Waterloo, Ontario, has just "outlawed" backyard chickens.

In Toronto (and some other Canadian cities) it's illegal to wash your own car, unless you collect up all the runoff and dispose of it properly. Good? Bad? Read the comments: opinions vary.

Some people in Canada (I can't track down the details right now, but Mr. Fixit heard about this on the radio) would like all "unhealthy" food to be banned in schools--whatever that is decided to mean. That includes what you pack in your own child's lunch. And heaven forbid you should send it in plastic wrap.

Mr. Fixit told me that in the European Union (including the United Kingdom), it's not only illegal to fix your own car, it's illegal to fix your own electronics (e.g. stereo components). Because of the soldering involved. And there is, according to his online friends, similar legislation pending proposed in the U.S.

So is it better not to be able to fix things and let them go to the landfill? Not to be able to eat home-raised eggs? Not to be able to make a little money sewing baby slings, or to help someone else out by knitting teddies for a church bazaar?

And look out, homeschoolers--there are a lot of people out there who don't like us, either. Overgeneralizing? Maybe. But think about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The large city we live near (we are in a first ring suburb) has relaxed their urban farming laws. It even looks like they will allow roosters!

Of course if the Animal ID Tag legislation is passed in the US that may curb the fresh egg for the neighbors idea.

Barb

Risa said...

It's illegal to wash your car in Calgary, where I live, so there are car washes everywhere. Both the drive-thru automated type, and a whole lot of these other ones where you wash the car yourself but the water is collected so it doesn't end up in the storm sewers (which I think empty directly into the river). I thought it was WAY crazy when I first moved here, but like everything else, I've gotten used to it. And given the scarcity of water here, I can now understand the reasoning behind it.

But yeah, I do take your point about preventing people from taking the initiative to lead their own life. Seems like there's an expert to consult on everything now (parenting, house decorating, 'what not to wear', among them.)

Mama Squirrel said...

Risa, that's the point I'm trying to make. There are getting to be so many can'ts and don'ts that it seems like we're not allowed to think for ourselves anymore.

Tori, Jessie, Ria, Kat, and Tea. Who is next? said...

You write my fears. And I have SUCH a time of trying to stay focused on the idea that "It's all His plan" (in my own life). I do believe those who feel convicted to make change (as I try in my limited way) should do it. But straying into fear is so easy and I try so hard NOT to do it. I'm glad you can write about these things without the edge of fear I feel lies around every word when I broach the subject myself!

Tori, Jessie, Ria, Kat, and Tea. Who is next? said...

Comment on your comment

I think, saddly, that many of the PTB are aiming for a nation/state in which the general populace is NOT allowed to think or do for themselves because these misguided and separated individuals believe that the general populace is not intelligent enough to make informed and correct decisions on their own. While this may be true, forcing people to "choose the right" is the Deceiver's Plan, not the plan we agreed to when we chose this mortal existence. So, fighting the FORCE program is definitely a worth-while activity!!!

Birdie said...

Truly scary.

Anonymous said...

Just a thought on the car wash. Is this possibly due to the Great Lakes Compact that was finally voted on in the US and signed last summer by Pres. Bush? I have not checked on the Canadian timeline but assumed it was also approved by the powers that be.

I know that Ohio has started assessments for grandfathering corporate/industrial water usage before limits go into place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails