Friday, September 11, 2009

Outfoxed? (A mathematical question)

Yesterday Crayons and I tried playing a game of Fox and Hounds that we saw in Family Fun Magazine. You need a checkerboard, four checkers of one colour and one checker of another. The rules are explained in the link and they seem pretty simple.

Except that...the fox seems to win every time. Crayons was the fox, and I usually let her go first. There seemed to be no way to marshal my hounds to keep her from getting past.

Try it and see if you can come up with a strategy to let the hounds win once in awhile.

2 comments:

christinethecurious said...

I've seen fox and hounds on a circular board with an x through it, that's how we used to play the foot version in the snow, but we were missing the rules too.

Sounds like a google rules search is in order, I know there are some tavern games sites with rules to common traditional games.

We like nine men's morris too for strategic thinking.

-Christine

Tammy said...

This sounds fun. When we try it I'd better let my daughter Peach be the fox. She's not a very good loser. LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails