Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Favourite childhood books? (Great Books Week)

I was the little kid that my mother had to push outside to play.

I liked to play dolls in the bedroom, play school in the basement, listen to my '78's in the dining room, and watch Mr. Rogers in the living room.

I also liked to read a lot, so singling out a favourite book is hard. In addition to the magazines we got (Children's Playmate and Humpty Dumpty to start with, along with Once Upon a Time, an English weekly story paper my dad brought home. ("Launched on 15 February 1969, Once Upon a Time was one of the finest-illustrated nursery comics to appear in this country. Written almost entirely by Barbara Matthews, the title ran for 167 issues (the last dated 22 April 1972) and Mendoza provided a full-page illustration to accompany the Matthews-written text adventures of Winifred and Stephanie. With a full page to play with, Mendoza provided a stunning array of animal antics; the stories often played with the contrast between Winifred, the down-to-earth country mouse, and her cousin, Stephanie, who had airs and graces, and allowed Mendoza to indulge his sense of humour in a way that his strip work did not allow...." From this blog) (A bit more here.)

There were the books we got through the mail from Parent's Magazine Press, and the other books (the Golden Books and Wonder Books and Elf Books) we'd picked up at the supermarket, or the ones we'd been given as Sunday School or Christmas gifts, or the ones we bought one year from Scholastic Books, or the ones that just mysteriously appeared...we also went to the public library regularly.

I had one much-loved copy of Fifty Famous Fairy Tales. I had a nursery rhyme book that I've never been able to track down. We had Raggedy Ann books, the Better Homes and Gardens Storybook, and the Family Treasury of Children's Stories. We had a copy of Winnie-the-Pooh, although I preferred listening to Jimmy Stewart reading the stories on an LP we had.

If I had to choose one? How about Rosa-too-Little, by Sue Felt?

It's a story about a little girl who wants...a library card.

:-)

4 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My favorite was Nancy Drew when I was in elementary school and Jr. High. Loved it! The original and not the "new" series that came out in the 1980s.

Both of my kids had a favorite preschool book called I Am a Bunny. It was still around a few years ago when I purchased a copy for my first grandchild. :)

Mama Squirrel said...

I had Margaret Wise Brown's Home for a Bunny...I guess bunnies have always been popular?

Molytail said...

My stepmother started grounding me OUT of the house after she realized I was behaving badly on purpose so that I could spend the day in my room, reading. ;-)

Birdie said...

My one regret growing up was that I never could figure out how to combine my love of reading with my love of jumping on my trampoline. ;) I wish that I could help with your nursery rhyme book, but I am still trying to figure out which one I had when I was little. I loved the illustrations and memorized just about everything in it. Alas, I cannot remember the name as that was printed on the OUTSIDE Of the book which of little interest to me back then.

Related Posts with Thumbnails