Friday, April 13, 2012

Crocheting with...pajamas? (Updated with Crissy photos)

I brought two small balls of yarn home yesterday from the thrift store. They were unlabelled, so I don't know the exact name, but they're a kind of fleece ribbon yarn, in a multicoloured pink-orange-melon mix. When you crochet with it, it's like handling thin strips of very soft flannelette pajama fabric. Very fun to work with; I didn't even know this kind of yarn existed, but the Apprentice filled me in. (She used to read knitting blogs.) I think it would be great stuff for making baby blankets.  (Apparently people even make their own "fleece yarn" out of leftover fabric, just like making t-shirt yarn.  If you had a lot of fleece fabric and a rotary cutter--and the time to slice it up--it might be a good free/frugal project.)

But since I only had a small amount, I decided to make a poncho for Crayons' doll. I crocheted two 4 x 9 inch rectangles last night, and they're ready to sew together and fringe. Actually I might let Crayons do that this morning. And there's enough left for a hat or maybe a pair of pants to go with the poncho. 

UPDATE:  I finished the poncho myself, and Crayons helped me a bit with the hat. (She pointed out that this would be good yarn to learn to crochet with, since it doesn't split.)   I was planning on making the poncho for an 18-inch doll, but it was a bit small (Crissy is slimmer and about 17 inches tall)), and anyway the colours fit Crissy's 1972 style.  If you want to make one for an American Girl or other larger doll, you'd probably want to make the rectangles a bit bigger, and check to make sure it fits around the head and shoulders.

The hat honestly looks better in real life than it does in the photo--it's one of those groovy head-huggers, but the photo makes it look more like a hair dryer cap.

I used most of the leftover yarn to make a washcloth (shown in the photo).  Total cost of doll clothes + washcloth:  $1.  Yeah!

Photos by Mr. Fixit, 2012.  Bell bottoms made by Mama Squirrel.

3 comments:

Contessa Kris said...

Can't wait to see a pic. I always have leftover yard around and dd would like something made for her stuffed animals.

Jeanne said...

I'm looking forward to the pic as well!

Jeanne said...

Oh, fabulous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails