Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dollygirl's Grade Six: Handel Lessons, Number Two

First, let's talk about arpeggios.  You can look them up on Wikipedia, but they are basically broken chords--the notes are played one at a time instead of all at once.  Think of a singer warming up with "Mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi."  Arpeggios are used for practicing music but they are also part of music.  Sometimes they are all the music, as in early video games.



Last week we listened to Handel's "Harmonious Blacksmith" played on the harpsichord.  Here is another example of Handel's harpsichord music (Händel Prelude and Air with Variations in B major, HWV434 by Eberhard Kraus).  Listen especially for the arpeggios.  (I think it's the same one meant in The Term's Music, since that's the one that Brahms used for his Variations.)



Compare Handel's harpsichord variations with this Bach Menuet.  Can you see any arpeggios in the score (before you play the clip)? 


4 comments:

amy in peru said...

i'm glad you post your lessons on here, because i sometimes probably learn as much as dollygirl does. ;)

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks, Amy! But I am just learning as I go along too...I never knew why video game music sounded like that!

Cindy Rollins said...

It is just amazing what we can learn just from YouTube. It is a bit overwhelming.

The Arpeggios thing reminded me of how I always said the word sonata as Sonyatas and my son was so embarrassed at his piano lesson but we both learned something.

Linda said...

What creativity and fun! I'll have to share this lesson with my kids. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails