Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Clothes are where you find them

Let's play a game. Which of these three items of clothing came from the thrift store?
Sheer, very large vanilla-coloured scarf
Polyester-rayon vanilla-coloured wrap top
Polyester-rayon vanilla-coloured tank top

Can you tell that vanilla is one of my favourite colours this summer? It reminds me of ice cream in the park.

And the answer is: the wrap top. I went to the thrift store today and found that, plus a fall sweater. But the top, being very lightweight and open-styled, needed something to go under it. When we got home, since we needed guinea pig lettuce anyway, I walked next door to the discount store and had a look through the t-shirts and tank tops that they had displayed out front. They had just one tank top like that, and it was about the same price as the thrifted wrap top. The other funny part is, the fabric and colour are almost identical. You would think it was just another layer of the top, which is fine with me. 

The scarf? That came from Walmart. 

I like fair trade and sustainable clothes, and I like thrifting. Most times I can find what I want at those sources, but sometimes I do buy new and not-so-great-for-the-planet. Polyester-rayon would not be my first choice if I were going to spend any amount of money on a new top (or two tops and a scarf). But with a bit of TLC (hand-washing), these should last for at least a little while.

No comments: