Thursday, August 23, 2007

Natural history treasure

(Update, September 2012:  Yes, Natural Science Through the Seasons has been reprinted!) 2018 Updated Link

(Update, December 2010: Thanks to Ann at A Holy Experience for continuing to post the nature calendars on her blog--and welcome to visitors coming from HE!]

For all the would-be Miss Stacys out there...

I bought a book this spring from someone in our local homeschool group, and it turned out to be such a treasure for anyone doing nature study that I have to tell you about it. The only problem might be getting a copy: there are only seven right now on Abebooks, so it seems a bit scarce. But once you know it's out there, you might find some other copies floating around, especially if you're in Canada.

The book is Natural Science Through the Seasons: 100 Teaching Units, by J.A. (James Arthur) Partridge. It was published by MacMillan in 1946 and 1955 as a year-long teacher's resource. Each month has a variety of activities that might be suited to what's growing or hatching during that time (at least in Ontario). Each month has a sample day-by-day calendar with natural things to look for that you can build up "on your blackboard" (or on a regular calendar, for homeschoolers). Each unit has suggested activities, divided into those that are especially suitable for younger and older grades. There are experiments, questions, little verses to learn (or maybe to use for copywork), charts for identifying evergreens, and more things to draw on the blackboard.

And then each one also has a reading list, including suitable pages from Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study; books such as Parker's Golden Treasury of Natural History and Dorothy Shuttlesworth's Exploring Nature with Your Child; and books by other authors whose books are still available: the D'Aulaires, Milicent Selsam, and Roger Tory Peterson. How cool is that?

Keep your eyes open! (The book has a green spine with red printing, it's 9 x 6 inches, and it's over 500 pages long.)

20 comments:

Squirrel and Hedgehog said...

My mother-in-law is a retired teacher and she had this gem sitting on her shelf.

What a great find!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

I just wanted to pop back to this post to to say that we hunted this book down, and it is a fantastic find. It has inspired and challenged us all, and the nature walks we've had! I can't thank you enough.

You just bless, bless, bless. Keep all that wisdom coming!

My deepest appreciation,
Ann V.

Jill said...

Oh how I wish I could find one! The only two I found on Addall were $163!!!!!!

Gina said...

Hi, I was just wondering why the link in this post is not working. :( Thank you for this post. I'll be looking for the book!

Mama Squirrel said...

Gina: probably because the AGO changed their website. Try searching "Art Gallery of Ontario" and clicking on "shop." Here's a current link: http://www.ago.net/shop .

Thanks for pointing that out.

molly said...

This book looks FANTASTIC. Unable to find it anywhere at the moment, but I shall keep hunting. Just what I need for my wee three.

HillaryM said...

I am adding this book to my wishlist. I found out about it this morning (14April2010) from Sheri Graham (Graham Family Ministries) who had linked to Ann V.'s Holy Experience which then linked here. Imagine my surprise to find yours a familiar blog as I am also on the TOS Homeschool Crew this year. It seems especially in the homeschool world, we are all just a few clicks from knowing each other. The internet does make it seem it is a small world--and not so lonely :)

Erica said...

I can't find the prints on the AGO site.. can you direct me to the right place?

Thank you!!

Mama Squirrel said...

Try this: http://shop2.ago.net/store/department/6/Prints-and-Posters/

l said...

I just happened to find this book at our local Value Village and was googling the title to get some info on it. It is a gem, I can tell already!!
I am so glad I found it..and only $2.99 ;)

Jennifer Deibler said...

Maybe it's my lack of computer skills but I can't find the prints. =(

Mama Squirrel said...

What kind of prints are you looking for? My original comment about that was just referring to the book's rather vague address for the Art Gallery of Ontario, a reference made on one of the monthly calendars. The AGO doesn't sell anything related to Partridge's book, although they do sell art prints of Canadian and other artists. http://shop2.ago.net/store/department/6/Prints-/

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Monique said...

If you are looking for the Ann Comstock book, you can see all 852 pages online at
http://books.google.com/books?id=2nN5UIFicfsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=comstock&ei=gMUXSKHxIoquygTi2ujaBw&sig=gdhQsLMo7lDrmZ6lmSjXudJweBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Monique said...

Is this the 100 Nature Lessons book?
http://books.google.com/books?id=YMtHnouXbgAC&q=is+Natural+Science+Through+the+Seasons:+100+Teaching+Units,+by+J.A.+(James+Arthur)+Partridge&dq=is+Natural+Science+Through+the+Seasons:+100+Teaching+Units,+by+J.A.+(James+Arthur)+Partridge&hl=en&ei=-YObTdrUDpKK0QHY0dCmAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ

Mama Squirrel said...

Jewell, when I click that link it takes me to the Education Digest, Volume 11--maybe there's a review in there, but I don't think I can access it.

A couple of people besides me have blogged about the book in the past couple of years--an online search should bring up a few posts. Wildflowers and Marbles did a post in January, showing a smaller booklet that contained contributions by Partridge, including the nature calendars. http://wildflowersandmarbles.blogspot.com/2011/01/useful-pretty-things.html

Scott Family said...

I found your blog through A Holy Experience and am immediately drawn to it because although I now live in Missouri, I was born and raised in Ontario :). I am so thankful God sends me little pieces of home from time to time. I look forward to reading what you are doing in The Great White North!!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

This book now in reprint as of 9-14-12! You can order it at Hillsideeducation.com. My wonderful sister ordered it for us as we have been on a major hunt for it. Check it out!!! :)

Melissa said...

HI, the Ann Voskamp links don't seem to be working any longer.

Mama Squirrel said...

Melissa, I'm not sure what link you are referring to--I just have the one link to Ann's main page. Are you looking for links to the posts she did with nature calendars?

Mama Squirrel said...

(2019) Melissa and all: yes, it seems that those posts no longer exist on A Holy Experience.