Friday, June 26, 2009

Peanut chocolate butterscotch bars

I took a pan of these bars (our Better Homes and Gardens Potluck Favorites booklet calls them Candy Bar Cookies) to our homeschooling friends' the other night--because they have peanut butter in them, they're not the sort of cookie I feel safe anymore taking to big gatherings; and Mr. Fixit can't eat peanuts, so I don't make them just for our family. But once in awhile--when we're having peanut-safe company--I make these just because they are so good. Kind of like chocolate-peanut butter-butterscotch candy on top of oatmeal bars. They're pretty good for holding together like they're supposed to, as well--something that often disappoints me when I try bar recipes.

So Many Scraps has already posted the recipe, so there you go. I should note that they're more flexible than the recipe might sound. I didn't have enough chocolate chips, so I filled in with more butterscotch chips; and the original recipe in the booklet says to sprinkle the whole thing with half a cup chopped peanuts (So Many Scraps skipped that step) and I didn't have peanuts either, so I just sprinkled it with the last few butterscotch chips--AFTER it had cooled somewhat and they wouldn't melt. Also you can cut back somewhat on the peanut butter; I was short on it so used less in the topping than the recipe calls for. It still worked fine.

P.S. Watch any foil sticking to the bottom of the squares. You might try parchment paper in the pan instead if that worries you.

No comments: