Monday, November 28, 2011

In which I make a monkey of myself with a ball of yarn

Today I tried out the Red Heart monkey pattern.

It went pretty smoothly and came out about the right size--7 inches.  That's 17.78 cm for the Canadians.

I got to the end and suddenly realized--this monkey doesn't have a tail.

Since that wouldn't do, I added one.  Make a chain the length of desired tail, then single crochet one row into the chains.  It will curl a bit, as single crochet into chains does even when you don't want it to.  Sew to the monkey's...um...tail-hitching place.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Cool! I think I might make some too.

I did not know that Canada was metric. Well - I'll be a...monkey's uncle! (Oh I am so funny.)

Mama Squirrel said...

We were officially forced into it in the 1970's, but even thirty-plus years later it has not taken off in a lot of everyday life. We buy meat and vegetables by the kg, but most of us still cook in cups and teaspoons. The doctor tells us how much we weigh in kg, and we have to go home and convert it. When I wanted centimeter graph paper to use with Cuisenaire rods, I had to print some off the Internet; most graph paper here is still four squares to the inch. (You can find it on the shelf near the 3 x 5 inch index cards.)

But we do buy gasoline and pop by the litre, and we know how fast we're going in metric.

Birdie said...

Does this mean that the tale of the monkey's missing tail had a happy ending? ;)