Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A preposition funny (Dollygirl's Grade Seven)

For French right now we are reading through a very short library book called Attention, dragon!, by Amelie Cantin.  The book uses several different prepositions, so I thought it would be good to review them by singing a little song I learned somewhere along the line.


The problem was that we had no Internet and i had no way of looking up the right words.  So I just tried my best.  I remembered this much (to the tune of London Bridge):  Sur, sous, dans, devant, derrière, devant, derrière, devant, derrière.  Sur, sous, dans, devant, derrière.  A côté de...

And there I was stuck.  "A côté de" means beside something.  I could not remember how the last line ended and what we were supposed to be beside.  I assumed it rhymed with derrière, so that gave me a choice of "le père," (the father), "ma mère," (my mother), un ver (a worm), la terre (the earth), or la mer (the sea).  I figured that being beside the sea was logical, so we went with that.  We sang "beside the sea" for two days.

Then we got back online and I thought it wouldn't hurt to check.  Do you know what the last line is?  ""A côté de."  That's it, that's all.  You stretch it out.  How unimaginative.  I prefer the sea, or even the worm.

No comments: