Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Hello August (Wednesday Hodgepodge)

1. Hello August. What's one thing you're looking forward to this month? 

 I'm looking forward to not having anything in particular to have to look forward to.

2. What are you doing to beat the heat right now? If you live in the southern hemisphere are you enjoying cooler temps or counting the days until summer? 

We drove to Kincardine on Lake Huron yesterday, although it wasn't terribly hot.

3. How do you see the world? 

"Our capabilities seldom match our aspirations, and we are often woefully unprepared. To this extent, we are all Assistant Pig-Keepers at heart." (Lloyd Alexander, The Book of Three)

And also

"Simplicity, happiness and expansion come from the outpouring of a human heart upon that which is altogether worthy." (Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children)

4. What food product do you think is better store bought than home made? How about something you refuse to buy because it is so much better homemade? 

Better store bought: Cheerios. Peanut butter. Cabbage rolls made fresh at the European deli, because I'm not going to bother making two cabbage rolls.

Better homemade: Brownies, even if you have to make them in the microwave because it's hot out.

5. Are you easy to get along with? 

As easy as most Assistant Pig-Keepers, and possibly more so than some. Especially if we have brownies around.

6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

A couple of weeks ago (between me remembering to post Hodgepodge responses and then forgetting again), my husband and I went to a free jazz festival in our town. One of the musicians referred to the events (or non-events) of the past few years, and said that it was hard for jazz musicians to function while distanced from each other, because community is where this kind of music lives.

And I thought that could apply to many other things in life as well.

7 comments:

Debby said...

That brownie looks scrumptious. Yep, you're right about cherries, and peanut butter (although I did make it once - emphasis on ONCE) I can't make Oreos either. Actually, the more I think of it, there are a few things I like, that I can't make. Mostly treats. I don't eat many treats but on occasion, I will pick up some Oreos - or some other childhood treat.

Joyce said...

Yes we need community. My mom makes the best brownies from scratch. I do both, scratch sometimes but I also keep a mix in the pantry for unexpected guests who need dessert.

ellen b. said...

Yep, community is very important. That drive to the lake sounded nice. Pretty shot of it, too. Happy August and hope your wish comes true. :)

Kym said...

Oh yes, I agree with those jazz musicians. We were meant for community and it's hard to function when that's taken away. I also agree that cereal and peanut butter are better storebought - I wouldn't begin to know how to make my own cheerios! LOL

GretchenJoanna said...

Your brownie pic made me realize that it's been years since I've made brownies! And I've never eaten a boughten brownie that was adequate.

Kirstin said...

I looked up that town, it looks cute. The quotes you shared for #3 were good and though provoking. Oh...there was another one of us saying brownies from box were best because she couldn't find a recipe..you better share yours.

Mama Squirrel said...

The classic and best recipe is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. But I know some people prefer actual chocolate rather than cocoa; a matter of taste and whether or not you want to fool with melting chocolate.

Cocoa Brownies

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter (softened if necessary)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (or just 1 if you want them fudgier or are short on eggs)
2/3 cup all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, we leave them out)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Chocolate chips for topping (optional--our addition)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix sugar, margarine, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in greased 8-inch square pan. Top with a handful of chocolate chips if you want. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (don't overbake), 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut in squares.