Wednesday, August 23, 2023

A Reminiscent Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
1. What's your earliest memory?

Hanging out with my grandparents.

2. What's something about you today that the old you would find surprising? 

The me holding the cookies? Probably everything, including the fact that I'm now as old as my grandmother was then.

3. Do you like to fish? Are you a fish eater? Favorite fish (to eat)? Favorite way to prepare fish? 

I fished only once in my life, and it's not something I want to reminisce over. Preparing fish: "Spread battered fish fingers on cookie sheet and bake until crispy." I am not an adventurous fish cooker.

See also this "fishy" Hodgepodge from a few years ago.

4. What's your biggest first world problem? 

Without getting too personal, serious, and outside the scope of a Wednesday Hodgepodge?

Telemarketers.

5. What one word would you use to describe your year thus far? 

Reminiscent.

Going to the flea market every couple of weeks will do that to you.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I'm starting to see the end in sight for a project that has covered most of this year, and which accounts for a good deal of its reminiscent character. I'm not even sure what not having to have it actively in my mind will feel like. But everything has its right time.

Two nights before, my mother had snapped off a thread, looked at the quilt in surprise, and said, "I think it's finished. How can it be finished?"...She stood up and laid it out on the big kitchen table. There they were, all those orderly, geometric patterns of our past... (Lois Lowry, A Summer to Die)

Linked from The Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

4 comments:

ellen b. said...

Such a sweet photo of you with your grandparents. Sounds like quite the project! I'm not sure I have ever fished. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

Kym said...

Love the photo with your grandparents. Memories of my grandparents are some of my happiest, although not my earliest. Hope you have a great week!

Joyce said...

Such a sweet photo of you with your grandparents. They are special people in our lives and I try to be that to my grandchildren too. Have a nice weekend!

Kirstin said...

I enjoyed your answers this week. Love the photo.