Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Wednesday Hodgepodge With a Sprinkle of Ginger

From this Side of the Pond

1. What's something small you tend to sweat even though you know you shouldn't? 

Trying to answer the first question on a Wednesday Hodgepodge.

2. October 17th is National Pasta Day...do you like pasta? What's your favorite? Cooked at home or eaten in your favorite Italian restaurant? How often do you make/eat pasta? 

Ooh, yeah, pasta. Did you know Canadians tend to say pasta with a very short a, as in, he pasta me the bowl of spaghetti? Apparently it's a Canadianism that most of us don't notice until someone from the U.S. points it out to us. Also "drama."

This year we have been extra fond of Greek spaghetti, both homemade and at a local diner.

3. Do you consider yourself a spontaneous person? Explain. 

More so than most people would probably give me credit for. I am up for a certain amount of "let's drop everything and go." Spice of life, right? But I like routine and order too.

4. Who are some of your heroes? Tell us why. 

Demosthenes, Publicola, and Timoleon. I like history.

5. Let's wrap it up with something light...Taylor Swift...are you a fan? On a scale of 1-10 how much so? (1=who's Taylor?, 10=a true Swiftie, seen her in concert more than once). If you're a fan what's your favorite T. Swift song? 

2. Sorry, daughters.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I'm having a busy couple of weeks, as I published a book, my colleagues and I published a book, and this weekend is an annual retreat where we all get to talk about books (and insects, and Canadian art, and other things). I took time out to make a batch of pumpkin bread, because pumpkin and ginger really say "fall" to me.


7 comments:

Joyce said...

We have several Canadian friends so I recongnize the 'accent' now. I don't think I know what Greek spaghetti is, but am sure I'd love it. I love Greek food and flavorings, and I love spaghetti too. Have a great day!

Astrid said...

I've never heard of Greek spaghetti. If it contains feta, it's not for me, though I do love Greek food in general.

Congrats on getting the book published! Enjoy your retreat too.

Pamela said...

Your #1 made me chuckle! I've never heard of Greek spaghetti, will have to look that one up. I say pasta with a short a as well, raised by a British mum and lived in England many years.

Mama Squirrel said...

There are different ways to make Greek spaghetti, but the one we make is like spaghetti Bolognese but with a little different seasoning (a bit of cinnamon added to the sauce). This is the recipe we use:

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/makaronia-me-kima-recipe-greek-style-spaghetti-in-meat-sauce/

Kym said...

I've lived in the US for thirty years and I still have to consciously think about how I pronounce pasta and drama unless I want my kids to make fun of me. Haha. Loved your answer to #1 and that's actually true of me too, although I didn't think of it. Congrats on publishing your books!

ellen b. said...

Congrats on your authorships. Is that a word? Pumpkin and ginger, sounds like a treat. Enjoy your weekend!

Mama Squirrel said...

"Is that a word?" Sure, why not?