Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Wednesday Hodge-Pi-dge

 

From this Side of the Pond

1. Thursday is National Pi Day...are you good at math? What was the last thing you had to calculate? Did you use your head or technology? Last slice of pie you ate? 

I haven't had any pie for awhile, but I did make jam bars yesterday, so that's close. (And we had birthday cake on the weekend, so that has to count for something.)

Anybody shopping for groceries (or anything else) these days needs to be calculating: sizes change, prices change, ingredients change. Is it better to buy two packages of name-brand cookies so you get the discount, or another brand that gives you store points, or the generic brand that doesn't promise anything but cookies? Multiply that by...well, just keep multiplying. And dividing and adding and subtracting. 

2. What makes a house a home? 

Something you choose yourself, that makes you smile when you see it.

3. Your current favorite green thing? 

A green plant that came in a gift basket two years ago and has outlived all its basket-mates.

4. How do you define achievement? How does your personal definition look similar to, or different than, society's definition? What's something you think is worth achieving in life? 

Managing one particular thing well enough not only that you make it work for yourself, but that you are able to hand it on or down to others, to teach or inspire them to do the same for others in return.

Or, for some of us who have never figured out that one particular thing, squishing a few lesser-sized things together and doing the same.

5. What song is a good soundtrack for your life right now? 

This Good Day, by Fernando Ortega.

If rain clouds comeOr the cold winds blowYou're the one who goes before meAnd in my heart I know
That this good day, it is a gift from YouThe world is turning in its placeBecause You made it toI lift my voice to sing a song of praiseOn this good day.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

When I was younger, there were things I learned to do, things I took lessons for, things I thought I should do...and most of those things I haven't done in years. All the things the grownups tried to push me to be good at, I wasn't, very, or it just didn't work out. Sometimes I totally embarrassed myself by letting myself get pushed into doing those things that I wasn't, very. I could tell when I wasn't, very, because people would be too polite about it...or sometimes even not, which maybe wasn't as awful as the too polite way.

Now I do more of the things that I never had to prove that I could or couldn't do. Because they were the things I cared about in the first place.

Linked from The Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

It's good to know what you like and find a way to do that very thing. Enjoy your day! It's beautiful here!

Kym said...

I really like your definitions of home and achievement. It's so good to know your one thing and be able to share that with others!