Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Skate on over

Some words of welcome from our Hodgepodge hostess:  "Welcome to another edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Please only link here today if you've answered the questions. And be sure to skate over and say hi to the blogger linking before you...we're all about being neighborly here in the middle of a week. Here we go-"

1. Speaking of skating...when did you last 'skate on thin ice', 'skate over the details', 'encounter a cheapskate', or just plain skate?
 
I was a Canadian kid...our school was a short walk from the hockey arena, and we all skated, even those of us who only sort-of skated (that would be me). We all wanted to be either Bobby Orr (later Wayne Gretzky) or Karen Magnussen (later Dorothy Hamill). When I got to my teens and going to the roller rink was popular, I was always amazed at how easy roller skating seemed. Eight little wheels felt a whole lot better holding me up than two skinny little blades.

But I haven't done either in a lot of years.

2. What would you say is the biggest problem of people your age? 

I don't know, we're all so different. Some mid-lifers still have young kids at home, some have kids in university, some are grandparents, some are all of those. Some are working and plan to be at the same job for years yet, some are changing what they do, others are thinking retirement. So maybe the biggest problem is feeling like we get lumped all together.

3. What's your favorite accessory? Is it something you wear every day, often, or only on special occasions?

Right now that would be two pashmina-type scarves: I have one in berry, from the thrift store, and one in mixed greens, from Giant Tiger.
4. January 20th is National Cheese Lover's Day. Are you a lover of cheese? What's your favorite dish made with cheese? Last thing you ate that contained some kind of cheese?
One of my grandfathers loved strong cheese, including Limburger (which we didn't like much), and Imperial Cold Pack Cheddar (which we did). Both still make me think of him. (Also Kraft Squeez-a-Snak.)

To quote Ben Gunn in Treasure Island:  "Marooned three years agone," he continued, "and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."

5. What's something guaranteed to make you roll your eyes?

Weather forecasters who say we're only going to have a few light flurries. (Photos taken on Tuesday.)
This is not a snowman, it's one of our bushes.

6. Your favorite book series?
I don't read a lot of adult series books (though I did like them when I was young). Probably Jan Karon's Mitford books...or the Brother Cadfael mysteries.

7. Why did you choose your profession?

Well, that would mean first defining a profession. Other than miscellaneous office work and the general jobs of homekeeping, mothering, and wifing, most of what I have done as an adult (paid or unpaid) has involved reading, writing, teaching; and reading, writing, and talking to people about learning and books. I don't think I chose that, more like it chose me.

 8. Insert your own random thought here.

I just started reading Fathers and Sons. I am very happy that it's not hundreds of pages long.

Linked from The Peaceful Easy Hodgepodge Feeling at From This Side of the Pond.

4 comments:

Denise said...

such lovely scarves

Mama Squirrel said...

I didn't photograph the green one, because for some reason greens seem to be the worst colour for my camera (or whatever comes after it) to get right. It's different shades of jade green.

Debi said...

I eye roll at the weather forecasters as well. Not so much at their forecasts (or as my dad calls them "mis-forecasts") as for how excited they get when there is a big storm coming. We have a couple here who are like little kids! Have a great week!

Joyce said...

I haven't read the Mitford series in a long time. So many people have mentioned them here today I'm thinking I might go back and re-read. My sister and I are one year apart. My girls are in their mid-20's and my sister has a nine year old, so I know what you mean about lumping us together. Enjoy your day!