Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Intentional Thrifter: classic to frivolous

I have a so-so relationship with button-up shirts. I think it's a hangover from Girl Guide uniforms of the 1970's. They never seem to fit right (too tight, too long, or both), or they're too crisp and menswear for me.

I found this blue and white pinstriped shirt yesterday, and brought it home in spite of my no-shop rule. My rationale: if you do find a classic that doesn't give you flashbacks, it's worth breaking the rules for.
I forgot to post about this top that I found a couple of weeks ago. It's fast fashion. It's synthetic. It's shiny. It's not made to last. But it is fun for dressing up.
It reminds me of one of my favourite Tom Thomson paintings.
Image result for tom thomson nocturne
Tom Thomson, "Nocturne, Algonquin Park, 1915"

It also goes quite well with this scarf.
So, both tops are hanging out in my closet for this fall.

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

Those uniforms crack me up! I was only a girl scout for about three months. I joined so I could go on the repelling/caving trip and then I quit...horrible, right?

Mama Squirrel said...

They modified the uniforms soon after that. I think they were scaring girls away!