Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Intentional Thrifter: It's a coverup

This is only partly a thrifting story. Just warning you upfront.

Over the past year I've acquired and dis-acquired several third-layer pieces: cardigans, jackets, and, most recently, a cozy shrug that matched our carpet. I don't mind walking on beige, but in my mostly-grey-and-navy closet it was a sore thumb. So it's going back to the thrift store, along with a shiny silver jacket (big non-removable shoulder pads made it look too '80's-scary) and a limp, dishwatery cardigan.

What did I replace them all with? Something expensive? Something thrifted? Something handmade? None of those.  On a get-some-fresh-air walk to the discount store, I browsed their clearance rack, and came home with a bunch of bananas and this half-price reversible poncho/cape/ruana. It had tassels on the corners, but I trimmed them off. My only complaint is that it already seems to be an electromagnet for loose hairs. It's a good thing we don't have a cat.
What do you do with a navy and grey poncho/cape/ruana, minus tassels??

First of all, you pull out your discount-store navy turtleneck, a thrifted wine-coloured shirt, and a thrifted grey cowlneck sweater.

You add the best (thrifted) scarves you have that were just waiting for something grey or navy.

Then you watch all the You-tube videos you can find, and start wrapping.
I think that covers it.

No comments: