Monday, September 28, 2020

This Old Thing (Part One)

"This old thing? Why, I only wear it when I don't care how I look." (It's a Wonderful Life)

Appreciation of our stuff is often a matter of perspective.

One of our kids, at a very tiny age, watched the rest of us wrapping Christmas presents, and wanted to play too. Within the next hour, a number of gift bags appeared under the Christmas tree, filled with everyone's socks and underwear.

I can imagine that there are circumstances where clean socks and underwear would be very welcome! At any rate, we tried to affirm the good intentions of our little "giver." "Socks! Just my size! Thank you!"

So imagine that you have received a wrapped gift with something in it that you already own, maybe something you're on the fence about keeping, or something that's been a bit neglected. Or that you scored it through an online auction, and it has just arrived with all the "It's for me, happy day" dopamine you get when the package truck pulls up. How do you respond?

"A sweater! Look at those nice buttons! And it's my favourite shade of blue."

"I love this teapot! Where would be a good place to display it?"

"This was, like, my favourite book ever. I can't wait to read it again."

Or, in a nod to 2020, "Oh, a whole jar of yeast! How did you know? Rolls for dinner, for sure." 

Whatever it is: hang it in a good spot. Put it on the table. Make something with it.  Mend or glue it, if it needs it. Post its picture on your social media. Show it some love and appreciation.

And see, you didn't need to spend a dime.

No comments: