Thursday, December 03, 2015

Quote for the day: Where your feet take you

"I say that if you want to know who you are, if you are more than academically interested in that particular mystery, you could do a lot worse than look to your feet for an answer. Introspection in the long run doesn't get you very far because every time you draw back to look at yourself, you are seeing everything except for the part that drew back, and when you draw back to look at the part that drew back to look at yourself, you see again everything except for what you are really looking for. And so on. Since the possibilities for drawing back seem to be infinite, you are, in your quest to see yourself whole, doomed always to see infinitely less than what there will always remain to see. Thus, when you wake up in the morning, called by God to be a self again, if you want to know who you are, watch your feet. Because where your feet take you, that is who you are." ~~ Frederick Buechner, The Alphabet of Grace

4 comments:

Silvia said...

Thanks for the quote. It's powerful.

I'm writing because your search box, Anne, doesn't work.

I'm typing a post about the Divine Comedy, saying I'm reading it because some of you are, and I'm trying to look for the post where you wrote about reading Dante, but I type Dante, or Divine, or Comedy, etc, I hit search and it does not take me anywhere. (I hope you can fix that or show your categories, -if it's not so much trouble to you, my friend-, if it is, that's fine! no worries, at least you have nice tabs in your blog for the main categories).

Merry Christmas, Anne.

Silvia said...

Oh, I forgot to click subscribe to comments.

Mama Squirrel said...

Hi Silvia,

I don't think there's much here about Dante, except for some quotes from Dorothy Sayers' translation. I've been commenting about it more on GoodReads, but I'm not sure how you find those.

I did mention it in the last Wednesday Hodgepodge here, though, so you could link to that.

Silvia said...

OK.
Thanks much.