Monday, April 13, 2020

Come Unthrifting With Me, Part One


This is a re-appreciation of things, and a shout-out to my favourite (currently shuttered) thrift stores. Want to see a random assortment of what I didn't buy this week?
"Have a Natural Christmas 1986." At first this seemed absolutely useless. I don't do woodworking, I don't want to make a wassail bowl, and I don't have anybody who wants a sock rabbit. However, I did find a couple of ideas that sparked other ideas.

Issue of Psychology Today: There were a couple of good articles I want to reread. Everybody's psychologizing these days.
Two necklaces I like but keep hanging where I forget to notice them
Two books I have been waiting to read: Breath for the Bones, by Luci Shaw, and On Purpose, by Paul Froese.
A pencil case full of things my daughter cleaned out
A blazer I haven't worn much, shown with a dress I've been wearing this spring

Thing Appreciation Plan

Monday: 

Shaw, 2 chapters: "Discovering the Creative Heart of God" and "Entering Into Beauty" 
"To construct a quilt is to make beauty and meaning out of life's scrappy leftovers." (p. 27)

Froese, 1 chapter
"The scientist is similar to the creative artist and business entrepreneur; each seeks to build something for humanity--something bigger than the self." (p. 8)

Sort out the pens and things, use any of them I can to make today's card and to write notes in some I've already made (a current project)

Put the blazer on over the t-shirt and jeans I'm wearing.

Tuesday: Shaw, 2 chapters
Froese, 1 chapter
Read two of the Ten Myths About the Mind
Creative wanderings: Use the Beautiful Star Wall Hanging pattern to make a card.
Wear one of the necklaces.

Wednesday: Shaw, 2 chapters
Froese, 1 chapter
Read two of the Ten Myths About the Mind
Creative wanderings: Make some yogurt. (There was a yogurt ad in Psychology Today.)
Wear the blazer again.

Thursday: Shaw, 2 chapters
Froese, 1 chapter
Read three of the Ten Myths About the Mind
Creative wanderings: Make something interesting out of a sock.
Wear the other necklace.

Friday: Shaw, 2 chapters
Froese, 1 chapter
Read three of the Ten Myths About the Mind
Creative wanderings: Make something with the yogurt.

Saturday: Shaw, 2 chapters
Froese, 1 chapter
Read "Ahead of Their Time," about kids growing up too fast
Creative wanderings: Make new coasters.

Sunday: Wear the blazer, the dress, and one of the necklaces.
Froese, last two chapters
Make something interesting to drink and serve it on the coasters.

Stay tuned for the rest of the unthrifting week.

No comments: