Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Waving from the heat

Welcome to the middle of the week and your friendly neighborhood Hodgepodge. Jump over to the host blog, From This Side of the Pond (click the graphic) for more entries.
From this Side of the Pond

1. The US of A celebrated Memorial Day this past Monday. Does your family have any military ties? If so, tell us about them.


A few, but they're not my stories to tell.

2. Cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, potato chips, mac and cheese, macaroni salad...your favorite BBQ side? How many of these do you make from scratch vs. buying from the deli?


I'd eat any of those. The pasta things I'd make myself, and Mr. Fixit sometimes makes hot potato salad. Cole slaw, probably pre-shredded. Beans: Bush's Original. Not very artisanal.


3.  I enjoyed asking this question back when the Hodgepodge was a regular thing...Lake Superior State University posts a list each year of words they think should be banished from the Queen's English for misuse, overuse, and/or general uselessness. The 2020 list includes-quid pro quo, artisanal, curated, influencer, literally, I mean, living my best life, mouthful (word used by foodies to describe texture of food in their mouth), chirp (basically an insult, you can read more on the website), jelly (short for jealous), totes (short for totally), vibe, and OK Boomer (internet response from millenial to older generation).

Of the words/phrases listed which would you most like to see 'banned'?


Some of these I hadn't heard. Artisanal and curated have been contenders for a few years now, but they still have their uses. But literally...yes, I literally think we could literally lose that one...literally.

4. I'm sure next year's list will be filled with words springing out of this weird season we're all in currently. What word or phrase associated with the Corona would you be happy to hear less often?


All of them, starting with "Corona" and "virus."

5.  The month of May wraps up in just a few days. Bid her adieu in ten words or less.

May sidled in without much promise, but now she's cooking.


6. Insert your own random thought here.


I finally found flour and yeast, and now it's too hot to bake.


But I did make Bisquick peach crisp in the microwave. I used frozen peaches and heated them for a couple of minutes with half the brown sugar, then added the remaining ingredients and finished it off. My total time wasn't as long as suggested, though, so if you're making this, keep an eye on it.


Linked from the Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I live in Peach country so will definitely make a cobbler this summer. I love Paula Dean's peach cobbler recipe. It's a keeper and makes a lot so I need company for this one. Hmmm...when can that happen?