Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge: "It takes more than wishes to do the dishes."


Notes from our Hodgepodge Hostess: "Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog then hop back here tomorrow to share answers with all your friends and neighbors. See you there!"

1. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch a fish? If so did you keep it or throw it back? If you haven't been fishing is that something you'd like to try?


Some relatives had a summer cottage on a lake just outside of town, and one Sunday afternoon after noontime chicken dinner, my grandfather picked out some of the gristly bits for bait, and (very uncharacteristically) asked me if I wanted to fish off the dock with him. I was about nine and knew nothing at all about fishing, but he showed me what to do. We caught a few sunfish, which I then (as his fishing partner) was expected to help clean as well. So I did, and when we got home, my mother fried them for supper. While I appreciated Grandpa's gesture of comradeship, I was just as glad that it only happened once.

Fish out of water, big fish in a small pond, living in a fishbowl, packed in like sardines, this is a fine kettle of fish, plenty of fish in the sea, fish or cut bait...which fishy phrase most recently applies to some area of your life?


We have dumped stuff in our blue recycling box forever, but recent efforts to increase the blue box output and incorporate a green bin have been a "whole new kettle of fish." And apple cores and orange peels and leftover mashed potatoes, and nasty-smelling bean cans that I might have previously chucked in the trash. We are on the final stretch of our "gearing up" month, but we still have to figure out how to get the remainder of the garbage into just two bags. (That is, remembering not to start another one too soon.)

2. What's something you're always fishing for in your purse, wallet, desk, or kitchen junk drawer?


Keys, mostly. But I have been "fishing" a lot less for the past while, since I started using a Kangaroo Keeper that I bought last year (new in the box) at a yard sale. (You can stop laughing now.) I don't care about all its little pockets (they are pretty useless), but having a transportable inner-thing that fits most of my purses and bags has been very helpful. If I want to switch purses, I just pull the Keeper out of one bag and deposit it in the other one.


4. Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight or night? Explain why you chose your answer.

No idea!

5. What's the oldest piece of clothing you own?

Do scarves count?

6. We've got one more month of (officially) winter here in the Northern hemisphere. Are you feeling the need for a getaway? What's been the best and worst part of your winter so far?

Well, today we're supposed to have record-breaking highs, after a couple of months of mostly snow. So that feels like a bit of a getaway. The bests and worsts are mostly things I don't want to post about here. How about the best recipe we've found lately? Our teenager is so addicted to these that she made a batch herself.

7.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge lands on National Margarita Day...will you be celebrating? Frozen or on the rocks? Are you a Jimmy Buffet fan? If so, what's your favorite JB tune?

I had to look him up, so that tells you how much I know about country music. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

On the fisherman and contentment:  Plutarch said that most people think you have to go to a big city not only for excitement but for intellectual stimulation and scholarly resources. (No Internet in his day.) He complained that when he visited Rome and hoped to learn some Latin, he was kept so busy with people wanting him to discuss philosophy and do business and whatever else, that he never could find the time. His language study had to wait until he got back home to his boring little town in Greece. So everything has its up-side!


Linked from The Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Visiting from the Hodgepodge. I've never had a margarita either. :)