Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book sale weekend!

I don't get to many book sales these days (or even rummage sales--they seem to be disappearing).  But I do try to go to the annual University Women's sale every year.  I do NOT stand in line to be the first in the door Friday afternoon.  What's left by Friday evening or Saturday morning is just fine for me.

Here's what I found this year:

The Craft of Fiction, by Percy Lubbock; a 1960's hardcover printing.
The Story of the Prayer Book, by Johnstone and Evans (1949 paperback)
The Oxford Book of American Verse (1960 hardcover)

The Educated Imagination, by Northrop Frye (my umpth copy, but I lose them when I loan them out)
Northrop Frye on Culture and Literature: A Collection of Review Essays
George Grant in Process: Essays and conversations (that is, the Canadian philosopher George Grant)
Young Mrs. Ruskin in Venice: Her Picture of Society and Life with John Ruskin 1849-1852, edited by Mary Lutyens.  (To read the biography of Lilias Trotter, you would never realize there was a Mrs. Ruskin.)

The Round Table / Characters of Shakespeare's Plays, by William Hazlitt (Everyman's No. 65)
The Travels of Marco Polo, introduction by John Masefield (Everyman's No. 306)
Alton Locke, by Charles Kingsley (Everyman's No. 462)

The River, by Rumer Godden

Trouble in the Ark, by Gerald Rose
Grandmother Lucy and Her Hats, by Joyce Wood (two picture books mentioned in Babies Need Books)

Puck of Pook's Hill, extra paperback copy
Poems and Prayers for the Very Young, extra copy
Better Homes and Gardens Story Book, extra copy
Gemma and Sisters, by Noel Streatfeild (I thought Dollygirl would like that one)

For the Scholastic shelf:

Arrow Book of Science Riddles, TW 729
Arrow Book of Project Fun, TW 658
Monster Holidays, TW 2910, a very silly book by Norman Bridwell

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I did not know there was a Mrs either. How surprising.

We've been reading John Masefield's Gallipoli in the lead up to Anzac Day on Thursday. He was Poet Laureate in WWI apparently. I adore his kids books.

I'd love to go book sale shopping with you. Swoon.

Mama Squirrel said...

Jeanne, look up Effie Gray and the omission will make sense. Messy story.

Jeanne said...

Oh...