Tuesday, September 09, 2014

The Apprentice Posts: Jello Cookies

If the row of bright, colourful macarons at the store always draws you in (only to be frightened back by the price), Jello cookies may be for you. I tried this recipe this afternoon with some leftover strawberry Jello powder and was pleasantly surprised with the colour and the taste. The powder gives more of a pastel colour, and the cookies are flavourful without being too sweet.



You can find the recipe here at Bakerette, which I followed without making any changes aside from making a quarter batch which would fit in my toaster oven because I didn't want to turn the oven on, and pressing the balls down with a fork instead of a glass--I think it's much prettier. I baked mine for the full eight minutes which was a little long as I did end up with very brown cookie bottoms, but they weren't dry and the browning didn't detract from the flavour. You may want to go for the full time in a large oven though. They also give you the option of rolling the cookies in sugar or in more Jello powder. I used the Jello and loved the tart crunchy outside layer that resulted, however it does sort of dissolve into the dough and you won't get the grainy texture you'd get from rolling in sugar. You could probably roll in both, although then you'd miss out on the slightly sour flavour on the outside.

No comments: