Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Hodgepodge with ModPodge

 From this Side of the Pond

1. What's a skill you think everyone should have? 

Everyone everywhere? That's pretty broad. I could say something basic like "reading," but there are people in places and circumstances where even that's an n/a.

Can I say that I think it would be a good thing if more people (not everyone) had better reading skills, and not just what Mortimer Adler called the basic "I'm literate" skill, but the levelling-up skills that allow us to catch not just the words but the ideas that are thrown at us in a text?

2. Do you have a special place or organizational system for gift wrapping? Do you still buy 'real' cards to send for birthdays, anniversaries, get-well, etc? 

Gift wrapping--I have one bin to collect ALL the used gift bags, tags, pieces of recycled tissue paper, etc., so that's "wrapping central." I don't buy new wrap very often, maybe for Christmas sometimes. I also don't buy buy individual cards very often because they're super-expensive. But I do make cards, or at least improve plainer ones that have come in a pack or from a thrift store. (Sometimes with Modpodge.)

Grab bag of bits and pieces. Somebody had started painting the wooden shapes and then quit.

I used the shapes, the tape, and the floral cutouts to "juice up" some otherwise blah cards for Easter.

3. It's National Banana Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite thing to make with bananas or, if you're not a cook, your favorite thing to eat that contains banana? 

Around here, probably banana bread. We keep finding it for half price at the supermarket, so it's hard to say no to that.

4. Do you believe in second chances? Elaborate. 

A second chance for...what, a career or something? Sure.

Maybe not so much for a hairstylist who shears you the wrong way.

5. What is your idea of fun? 

Realizing that the secondhand bookstore you're checking out also has a second floor.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

It's Fashion Revolution Week, that time when we ask "who made my clothes?" Or when we at least try to do some good for the fashionary planet. 

My contribution is creative thrifting. A couple of days ago I found this scarf for a couple of dollars, that was kind of calling my name.

I pulled out some (also thrifted) spring/summer clothes and had a floor-modelling session.

I love the way the scarf seems to work with everything else; that's when you know something was a good buy.

Linked from the Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

3 comments:

Debby said...

Enjoyed your answers.
I agree with you on the hairdresser's second chance after she messed up your haircut. I said reading as well. Swimming is a good skill to have.

Kirstin said...

Loved all your answers, especially the second hand store one..haha.Suuper cute outfits. I also need to have some of you ladies help me organize my gift wrapping stuff.

Mama Squirrel said...

Kirstin--maybe next week's post?