Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Serendipity (and chicken recipe)

(To please those at the Beehive)

Serendipity (from Dictionary.com):

The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. Like an extra piece of chocolate bar left in the drawer when you thought it had all been eaten. Or two frozen bananas when you have been thinking about making banana muffins.

The fact or occurrence of such discoveries. It does happen.

An instance of making such a discovery: The Deputy Headmistress posted a recipe today for Chicken Breasts Honeyed and Curried, just after I had pulled a bag of chicken out of the freezer, and I read it while I was trying to decide what to do with it.

I used the same idea but cut down on the ingredients (had only a small bag of chicken), cut back on the spices, and used the crockpot. This is what I ended up putting in the pot: 2 boneless chicken breasts (that's about a pound of meat), 1/4 cup margarine, 1/4 cup liquid honey, 1 tbsp. each curry powder and dry mustard (powder), a bit of salt and a grind of pepper. The chicken was still fairly frozen so I started it at about 11:00 and cooked it on high until 5:00. At about 4:30, I thickened the sauce with 2 tbsp. cornstarch that I had mixed with a small amount of cold water, and then set it back to cooking until supper time. I served it with brown rice and a sprinkle of cashews on top.

This served our family of 5 (but a couple of our kids are small eaters, so I'd say it was more like 4 servings with rice and salad).

1 comment:

Lynn Bruce said...

BANANA SPLIT!!!

will that go okay with curried chicken?