Berry: They didn’t have electricity. All their technology was nineteenth century. But they were satisfied, and they lived a great life — they made a great life. It was a work of art.
Fearnside: So their answer was to simplify their lives so that they required less income and could do the things they were passionate about.
Berry: They reduced costs, but when you do that, you make your life more complex. It’s much simpler to live by shopping.
- About Us
- Anne Writes
- Frugal Finds & Fixes
- Charlotte Mason Education
- CM Volume Two Posts
- CM Volume Three Posts
- CM Volume Four Posts
- CM Volume Five Posts
- CM Volume Six Posts
- Crocheting Posts
- Treehouse Gift Giving Guide 2018
- Christmas Countdown with Charlotte Mason
- Capsule Wardrobe for Winter 2020: Sonatinas and Snow
- Wardrobe, Winter's End 2020: All In Your Head
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Wendell Berry on the cost of simplifying
From this interview with Jeff Fearnside in The Sun Magazine. Thanks to Holy Experience for the link.