Saturday, September 24, 2011

Literary criticism--and digging up the last of the logocentrics

Cindy at Ordo Amoris posted a link to Martin Cothran's article "The Death of Literature" at ClassicalBlogger.com (where she herself recently posted notes about The Bible and the Art of Teaching).

I agree with Cindy--this is a great reading list!  I would love to watch The Teaching Company's "From Plato to Postmodernism," by Louis Markos.  Martin Cothran describes it here: "It is an excellent introduction to the history of literary criticism. Markos points out that Northrop Frye was the last of the logocentric literary critics and after that, it is all been downhill." Fearful Symmetry (Frye's 1947 book on Blake, mentioned in the article) is one book of Frye's that I don't have...I know he loved Blake, but I personally find Blake's tigers (and other imagery) more than a little scary.  Maybe someday.

No comments: