Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge, More or Less

Happy New Year! Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday link up. Answer on your own blog, then hop back to From This Side of the Pond to share your answers. 

From this Side of the Pond
1. What advice would you give yourself as we begin this new year? 

Count up the sunny days. 

 2. If you could throw a themed party for yourself what would the theme be? 
 
A book party with squirrel decorations, thrifted presents and lots of chocolate? (Please, nobody take this too seriously. Except maybe for the chocolate.)

3. Tell us where you were and something about what life was like when you were 20- 21.

Mid-eighties, university (actually two universities, I tried out a different one for my second year), weekend buses back and forth between the big city and home. CP/M computers and dot-matrix printers. Made a lot of lentil burgers. My best classes turned out to be Canadian poetry and children's literature; my worst were (almost always) religious studies, especially when they started talking oh-so-respectfully about theologians like Rudolf Bultmann (:known for his belief that the historical analysis of the New Testament is both futile and unnecessary", Wikipedia)

Years later, though, I'm kind of glad I took those courses, because it reminds me that some current arguments over beliefs are not new at all, and that the church has managed to stay on its feet through past storms as well. 

4. What's on the menu at your house this week? 

My husband just made the trek out to large-mart for hamster fluff and sponges, and brought home a frozen lasagna as well. But I think we're making beef tortillas tonight.

5. What should you do more of this year? Less of?

More than 2020, or than any other year? Some things I would like to do more of but I can't. Same with less of. Some things I should do more of, or less of, but I don't really want to.

I guess I'll have to keep thinking about it.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I came across this hymn by George Herbert and I'm still thinking about it. 

1 Let all the world in ev'ry corner sing,
"My God and King!"

The heav'ns are not too high,

God's praise may thither fly;
the earth is not too low,
God's praises there may grow.
Let all the world in ev'ry corner sing,
"My God and King!"

2 Let all the world in ev'ry corner sing,
"My God and King!"
The church with psalms must shout:
no door can keep them out.
But, more than all, the heart
must bear the longest part.
Let all the world in ev'ery corner sing,
"My God and King!"

6 comments:

Carla from The River said...

A book party, how fun.
We have a black squirrel visiting us with a large white tip on his tail. He is so cute, but a rascal at the same time hanging from my bird feeder.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Following Joyce's suggestion that we visit the blogger who linked up for Hodge Podge directly ahead of us. Nice to meet you.
A book party with chocolate would combine 2 of my all-time favorite things. I will be eagerly awaiting my invite. And of course, you are welcome to come to my costume party. I might be Alice or Little Red for both!!
Frozen lasagna sounds simple and delicious. We are looking at fish sticks tonight. Ha!!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

P.S. I always forget to check the box about follow-up comments. Doing that now.

Mary said...

Maybe I'm just nerdy, but a book party sounds really fun!

Lisa said...

A book party sounds like so much fun! I'm already envisioning decorations . . .so to include the squirrels . . .stacks of books with cute squirrels on top :-). I'm visiting from Hodgepodge!

Mama Squirrel said...

OK, it's settled: all the Hodgepodgers are coming over for a book party.