Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge, Better or Worse

 It's the Wednesday Hodgepodge! You know the drill: click on the graphic to go to This Side of the Pond and add your link.

1. When were you last a guest at an event or in someone's home? Tell us about it. Do you enjoy having guests in your own home? 

That's like asking someone during Prohibition when they last had any gin. But honestly, we are depressingly well behaved. 

2. What has you 'tied up in knots' currently or recently? Are you any good at tying actual knots? 

The fact that my answer to #1 has to exist.

Real knots? I was a Girl Guide, so I learned a few. The one I've never totally grasped is that thing you do when you thread a needle and slide the knot down the thread. I was never that big on macrame, either.

Scarf knots...I know a few of those.

3. What's something you've been wanting to do and have decided 2021 will be the year you 'take the plunge'? 

Not sure. I have some writing projects that might get off the ground. 

Mr. Fixit and I always planned to do something special this summer to mark thirty years of "tying the knot." Right now the most exciting thing I'm envisioning is chicken burgers from the drive-through.

4. Something in your home that's old? Something new? Something borrowed? Something blue? 

Something old: a collection of small books that were passed down through my family.  The largest one, Abiding in Thee, is 5 by 6 inches, and the smallest is 2 by almost 4 inches.
The smallest one is a Book of Common Prayer with metal edges and the findings for a clasp (the clasp is gone though). It was printed in England and it has very small print.

The other small book, the dark brown one, is older; it’s A Selection of Psalms, Hymns and Anthems, with a really interesting inscription: my great-great-grandmother’s maiden name, and then “Pew No. 30, St. Paul’s Church, Yorkville, C.W.” Do you know what C.W. stands for? Canada West; that’s the pre-Confederation name for Ontario. The book was printed in Toronto in 1861.

















Something new: well, Christmas presents. 
The absolute newest thing in the house, other than some groceries we're going to pick up this morning when the ice melts, would be a tote bag I ordered that hasn't arrived yet, which, technically, doesn't put it in the house yet, but soon. It's a replacement for another bag I use a lot which I know is starting to look pretty worn. 

Besides that...a pair of leggings my daughter ordered that fit me better than they did her.

And I guess you could count a package of Valentine's Day paper napkins from the dollar store.

Something borrowed? Library books on Overdrive?

Something blue...lots of things. This is a quilted bag I made ten years ago to hold doll clothes. It's been repurposed to hold a collection of off-duty acorns and pine cones (real, fake, and crocheted).
5. Share a favorite quote, a verse of scripture, and/or a bit of wisdom for couples getting married in this challenging and seemingly unpredictable season we're currently/still experiencing. 


1 comment:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I have a book of scarf knots too! It's come in very handy! Have a wonderful week.