Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Wednesday Hodgepodge: In Season and Out

From this Side of the Pond

1. In two or three sentences describe yourself to someone who has never met you. 

Squirrels collect and store whatever they find, sometimes to their own detriment. I do collect some physical things, but I'm more likely to run around collecting up words and ideas. 

When my little backpack is full, I try to put them back together and give others something to chew on. Metaphorically speaking.

2. Will you celebrate Halloween this year, and if so tell us how? Let's play this or that-chocolate candy or fruity candy? pumpkin seeds or pumpkin pie? Halloween party or scary movie? hay ride or corn maze? carve a pumpkin or paint a pumpkin?

It's not a big deal for us, and we hardly ever get trick-or-treaters. 

We might watch a semi-scary movie and eat some of the little chocolate bars that we bought with the full knowledge that we might get, like, one kid knocking on the door.. 

The stores are full of pumpkins right now, so I bought a small one and turned it into pumpkin bars yesterday.

3. What's something that scared you when you were young? Are you still afraid? 

Ferris wheels...ski lifts...escalators. And yes.

4. Your favorite soothing drink? 

I suppose coffee is disqualified?

Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea, a.k.a. caffeine-free chai. Drinking it reminds me of past poetry teatimes with our kids.

5. Are you thinking about Christmas yet? Does this make you feel happy or stressed? 

How 'bout we keep that one for another hodgepodge.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

How is it that fall doesn't technically end until the winter solstice? I think we should have extra seasons, like they do in Japan; because right now we're getting near the end of orange-leaves-on-the-trees, heading into I'm-not-sure-what-season-November-is-but-it's-cold, and looking towards get-out-the-boots.

In keeping with not being sure what season we're in, yesterday I thrifted a sleeveless linen-blend dress, more or less for next summer. (And did I have a hard time photographing a black dress on a dull day? Eventually I gave up and hung it on the bathroom door. Not elegant, but at least you can see it.)

But we can always layer up until then, right?

7 comments:

Lisa said...

You've made me interested . . .Japan has more than 4 seasons?

Mama Squirrel said...

According to The Vivienne Files site, there are 24! There's an ongoing series sbout them here:

https://www.theviviennefiles.com/tag/japanese-24-seasons/

ellen b. said...

Well done on the layering! Our Halloween in the country has been very different from when we lived in the city! Hope the end of October goes well in your corner!

Joyce said...

We will have a big Halloween this year as we're with my daughter and her neighborhood is filled with kids. She thinks we might have 200+ yikes!! It will be fun though.

Enjoy your chocolate bars. When we're home we get almost none so I always buy what I like to eat : )

Allstarme79 said...

I'm not fond of ferris wheels either; sometimes I can be convinced to go on one but I'm never happy.

Kirstin said...

Your answer to #1 was fun. Oh, I don't think I could do ski lift and open front Ferris wheels...no thanks.

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks for all your comments! Sounds like none of us will be doing Ferris wheels anybtime soon.