Monday, October 12, 2015

Books read so far this year

Finished this year:
Remove from my books

How Dante Can Save Your Life: The Life-Changing Wisdom of History's Greatest Poem
Dreher, Rod

Come Rain or Come Shine
Karon, Jan

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Cain, Susan

Writing to Learn: How to Write--And Think--Clearly about Any Subject at All
Zinsser, William

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Zevin, Gabrielle

Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party
Greene, Graham

The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School
Postman, Neil

Love in the Ruins
Percy, Walker

Ten Philosophical Mistakes
Adler, Mortimer J.

The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist
Feynman, Richard

The Winds of War
Wouk, Herman

The Indie Author Guide: Self-Publishing Strategies Anyone Can Use
Hamilton, April

Leisure: The Basis Of Culture
Pieper, Josef

No Little People
Schaeffer, Francis A.

The Language God Talks: On Science and Religion
Wouk, Herman

The Alphabet of Grace
Buechner, Frederick

Every Waking Moment
Fabry, Chris

Not for Profit
Martha C. Nussbaum

Becoming Human
Jean Vanier

Concerning the Teacher
St. Augustine

Journey to the Source of the Nile
Christopher Ondaatje

Still reading:


Spiritus Mundi: Essays on Literature, Myth, and Society

Remove from my books
MFA in a Box

Remove from my books
The Divine Comedy

Remove from my books
Home Economics

Remove from my books
A Place in Time: Twenty Stories of the Port William Membership

Remove from my books
The Cost of Discipleship

Remove from my books
New and Collected Poems

Remove from my books
Affluenza

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading book lists! :) I, however, always feel like such a twaddle-a-holic reading others lists! ;)

How did you like Leisure the Basis of Culture? :)

Mama Squirrel said...

Leisure was not an easy read! I left a comment about it here: http://deweystreehouse.blogspot.ca/2015/05/book-binge-leisure-basis-of-culture.html . I felt like I had gotten left behind on that one a few years ago and wanted to catch up. I think it's one I'm going to go back to again; the idea of *leisure* in education keeps coming back, it's important.

I have read my share of fun books this year too, but most of them were re-reads, so I didn't put them on the list. Right now my "twaddle" is a stack of Eugenia Price books I picked up at a rummage sale in honour of my novel-loving grandma.

Dawn said...

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry because there are several titles on your list that are new to me and are worthy of adding to my "Up Next" list :). The Postman title as well as Augustine's Teacher are among them. I have that Adler title on my shelf but have not moved it onto my "Currently Reading" stack.

I read Dreher's Crunchy Cons and really enjoyed it. His Dante title has been calling me, especially because I started reading the Divine Comedy in 2013. I put it on hold and it has been nearly a year since I picked it up but I look forward to completing it in the future.

I finished Pieper's book this year, too, and am re-reading Berry's Jayber Crow to follow along with the Close Reads discussion at Circe. I imagine this will take me down another Berry trail once it is complete.

TheHeadGirl said...

I read "Cost of Discipleship" a few years ago and loved it..I'm now Oh So Slowly going through his "Ethics." I suspect it will be more of a 12-18 months long project for me.

And I read Wendell Berry last year too ~ "A Continuous Harmony," which was also really good.

I still have NOT read Dante though. Sigh. I should really do something about that.