Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Cream in the Coffee Edition


1. Share a winter memory from your childhood.

Oh--probably the blizzard of late January 1977, thirty-nine years ago.



2. What was on your blog this time last year? (Besides the Hodgepodge of course!) If you weren't blogging, what in the world were you doing with all that free time?

A lot of homeschooling and some "what's for supper." I was starting to think about writing a book.

3. Ellen Goodman is quoted as saying, 'We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.'

Do you see more flaws or more potential in your life at the start of a new year? Have you done anything specific this month to address either one? Does the new year truly begin for you on January 1, or is there some other month of the year that feels like a fresh start and new beginning?

Hah, this is interesting because I spent this morning putting board games into "keep" and "donate" piles. Not sure if that addresses a flaw or adds potential (empty shelves in the closet). I think of it more as a natural transition, and it's something that I'm not sure perfectly-organized people think of when they're carefully labelling plastic drawers etc.: children grow up, and whether their toys are messy or super-organized, one day before you realize it, their favourite stuff will be yesterday's treasures. Unless you're running a daycare or have ongoing grandchildren, what's on the shelves won't be static. This goes for adults too: we stop wearing one style of clothes and try another, we don't eat desserts as much, we buy new curtains, we change, we move on.
 
Game sorting update (photo below): Everything we kept fit on one shelf of the closet, except for a large Backgammon set and one old toy of Lydia's which didn't really need to be in there anyway. I never would have thought.
4. Who's an athlete you admire or respect and why?

Glenn Cunningham.

5. Do you like cream in your coffee? Whipped cream on your pumpkin pie? Cream cheese on a bagel? Sour cream on a baked potato? Cream of wheat for breakfast? Have you ever had a scone with clotted cream? Of all the creamy foods mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to you right this very minute?

Most of the above, except for Cream of Wheat: wallpaper paste for breakfast. I like baked potato soup with cream cheese in it. If I didn't already have chicken cacciatore going in the slow cooker (from our freezer meals), that might have sent me off to make some. Maybe tomorrow.

Skipping 6 and 7 because I can't think of any answers..

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I am crocheting a scrap-busting afghan that's "scrap" in two ways: using up most of the yarn I had on hand, and also making use of a long, narrow throw I made over twenty years ago. The ends and the middle panel are new, and when I get them sewn together I'll add a border. Maybe I should call the whole thing the "random" throw.

Linked from Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

4 comments:

April said...

I'd give anything to know how to crochet...I don't think I have the patience for it. I love what you're creating!

Joyce said...

A flaw or potential? I think it's both : ) Enjoy your day and happy crocheting!

Denise said...

lovely rugs

Unknown said...

Haha, board games are sooo hard for me to get rid of! You've inspired me... One shelf? I don't think I can do it.