Notes from our Hodgepodge Hostess: "Hola! Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog then scoot back here tomorrow to share answers with your amigos. Here we go-"
I like the wussy, mainstream kind of Mexican food. Taco Bell. Mr. Fixit is the one who slathers on the hot sauce. Cinco de Mayo is not really a thing where we live, unless you're actually Mexican.
2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or no? If you haven't been is this a place you'd like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?
No to most of that, including Spanish, except for what I learned from U.S. Sesame Street ( a few useful things!). Does first-year Italian come close?
3. What's one thing you may accomplish this month?
Oh, funny, May, I get it.I may buy a bathing suit for the first time in who knows when. Because I don't own one (who needs one for just dipping toes in the water at the lake?), and our new building includes a swimming pool.
I may learn to use a dishwasher. We have never had one before.
4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what's one thing you'd like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you've ever seriously considered?
Our roads are a mess. That's all I'm going to say.
5. What's something that may be popular, but that you just don't get?
Paying for everything with a debit card.
6. Can't let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is Star Wars Day. As in 'May the 4th be with you' ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being 'I've seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year', and 1 being, 'what's a Vader?' -where do you land?
Three, maybe, as in 'I did see the last movie, and I thought the scenes with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were fun.' We watch more Star Trek than Star Wars.
7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences or less tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?
"Curdie and Calling," from February 2005. Yes, actually, that's still a big idea for me..
And then he goes on to talk about the need for us to understand that we are "called to be" (more on that another time). But the connections were so obvious, I wondered for a minute if all these writers had been sitting at the same table while they wrote! Yes, that's it, I thought, what Curdie had lost and what he seemed to find again by visiting the grandmother: responsibility. And there is a hidden meaning in that word: it also means "response-a-bility." Fascinating.8. Insert your own random thought here.
Marking big moving boxes just "kitchen stuff" is probably not specific enough to easily track down the frying pan and the chili powder. However, you do what you can do. We have been downsizing and packing nonstop for the last month, so at this point, even getting the room right feels like someone should be patting me on the back.
But by the next Hodgepodge I should have at least found the chili powder.
Linked from The Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.