Thursday, December 21, 2017

Mama Squirrel's Reading List: 2017 Apologies, 2018 Plans

Edited March 2018 to mark "read" books. ☆

I had about forty books on my 2017 reading list, and I read about seventy (including re-reads). But most of the books I read weren't the ones on the list.

Sometimes it's easier to read the ones that come into my hands than it is to make a point of ordering or borrowing others. And needs change (i.e. suddenly desperately needing books about downsizing).

So, this year I have 45 books so far on the to-read list. Six of them are have-to-reads, because I will be taking courses that include them. There are also some really- hope-to-find, really-hope-to-reads, including a few from last year's list. And there are some that just sound interesting.

(The links are from GoodReads.)

Required Reading

Collaborative Learning Techniques: A Handbook for College Faculty
Barkley, Elizabeth F.

Facilitating with Ease!
Bens, Ingrid

The Skillful Teacher: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom
Brookfield, Stephen D.

Planning Instruction for Adult Learners
Cranton, Patricia

Designing Effective Instruction, 7th Edition
Morrison, Gary R.
The Purposes of Adult Education: An Introduction
Other Education Books

Better Living Through Criticism: How to Think about Art, Pleasure, Beauty, and Truth
Scott, A.O.

Maps of the Imagination: The Writer as Cartographer

Style: Toward Clarity and Grace Style: Toward Clarity and Grace ☆

Things I Would Just Like to Read

The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh: A Walk Through the Forest that Inspired the Hundred Acre Wood
The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh: A Walk Through the Forest that Inspired the Hundred Acre Wood
Aalto, Kathryn 

Mythologies

The Culture We Deserve
Time and Free Will Time and Free Will
Bergson, Henri
(Downloaded free from archive.org)
What Are People For?
The Music of the Republic: Essays on Socrates' Conversations and Plato's Writings

The Remarkable Ordinary: How to Stop, Look, and Listen to Life



When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself
Hornstein, Gail A.

The Weight of Glory

The Irrational Season(Crosswicks Journals, #3)
Hallelujah: A Journey through Advent with Handel's Messiah
You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit

The Ethics of Evangelism
Townsend, John

Ideas Have Consequences
Renewing the Christian Mind: Essays, Interviews, and Talks

5 comments:

Cheri said...

What a fascinating list! I've only read a few of these.

I'll roll out my list in a week or so. It will include mostly things I have on my iBook app on my slowing dying iPad.

Mostly public domain stuff. Today is a perfect day for reading here. Dark, dreary and since we already had our Christmas at Thanksgiving with the kids and grands - the usual hustle and bustle is over.

Amy Marie said...

Love that header photo and your list is interesting! I enjoyed the Pooh title. :) I'm intrigued by Remarkable Ordinary. I started the Maps of the Imagination and I really enjoyed it, but alas had too huge of a stack at the time and had to return it to the library. How heavy is Ideas have Consequences? ;) Merry Christmas. Amy

Mama Squirrel said...

Amy, Silvia described Idwas Have Consequences as "very challenging."

Annie Kate said...

So many fascinating titles! And are you studying education? What a good way of using all you have learned as a homeschool mom. In Mere Motherhood, Cindy Rollins talks about how retired homeschool moms can impact society, and that idea caught my imagination. I'd love to hear more about what you are studying and what your plans are.

I used to plan out what to read ahead of time, but, like you, I end up reading things I never would have planned. So now I have a few focus areas that I select books from and read a lot of things that just plain interest me, too.

I'm planning to save your list for future reference....

Greetings from chilly Ottawa!

Mama Squirrel said...

Annie Kate, I am going to be taking education courses online, through Brock U. I'll post more about it once I get going.