Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Penny Post


From this Side of the Pond
1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

Lent, currently, yes. Church, currently, no.

2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire? 

Don't have one, and can't recall the last time. Can candles and oil lamps substitute?
3. Something that's currently got you fired up? 

Getting close to finishing the book I've been working on. So I can earn an honest penny.
4. February 17th also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski?

It would be hard to be part of this squirrel family without saying sauerkraut. We like the made-in-store cabbage rolls from the European butcher/grocery, but we haven't bought any or even been to that store for weeks. Shopping lately is complicated.

5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 

The last Canadian pennies were distributed in February 2013, and the stores don't take them anymore, so they're pretty much gone from our lives.  I don't know how Canadian schoolchildren are supposed to learn place value without pennies, much less sing Canada in my Pocket.

Things I bought for a dollar? Besides grocery items? That would be several of the things I thrifted before Christmas,  after which the thrift shops here were shuttered along with most other stores and services. 

 6. Insert your own random thought here.

On Valentine's Day, my husband discovered a bag of Christmas cookies hidden at the back of the freezer.
Bonus.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I love candles too. How exciting to be writing a book! I hope you finish it soon. Finding Christmas cookies in the freezer...bonus for sure! Have a great week :)

songbird's crazy world said...

I have a lot of candles, love them.

Pamela said...

I just commented on another Hodgepodge post that pennies were not being used when we were in Montreal and that was in 2013. I love Charlotte Mason, her teaching methods are wonderful.

Joyce said...

I may have a small stash of homemade chocolates in my freezer left over from Christmas. I might break into it from time to time too : ) Happy Wednesday!